Update on the updated home study.
So I asked the SW who inspected our home on Tuesday why we had to go through the CPR and First Aid certification if these were new requirements that were created AFTER our home study was done and approved. It was my impression that the only update we needed was a home inspection. I understand that for the home inspection we needed to be up to the new "standards" but I don't quite grasp why the CPR and First Aid certification falls in line with that. Here is the message I received from the SW:
Deanna,
Here is the response from H4K agency regarding the CPR and First
Aid. Also, I just spoke with Peg ( head of H4K
Agency). She stated that we can recertify your home study and put a new
date on it. However, if you elect to do this at minimum you will have to go redo
the live scan (fingerprints) and we will have to
resubmit a financial statement. We will also address any other changes in to the
home study. If I hear that there are any additional steps, I will let you know
immediately.
Please let me know if you only want the home inspection
updated or you would like the recert.
Thanks.
M.
From H4K Agency:
----- Yes they need cpr and fa. BUT...They can share....
Meaning one can have CPR and one can have FA. But each of them needs to have one
or the other. I hope this makes since. One person canÂt have both, and the
other have none. :
Is that yes. they do need CPR and FA?Me
Sent:
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 4:42 PM Subject: Re: Yes, if they do not have a
baby in the home, once the baby is born it is then that we need to foster care
certify them, so they need cps/fa.
So I wrote them back the following:
We will not be recertifying ourhome studyy, since it is good through May 13,
2006. I still don't understand why we have to do the CPR and FA since our
homestudy is approved and you were only here to inspect the home and make sure
it is safe. Please have someone call me to explain that to me. I feel like we
are having to take steps that we wouldn't have had to take if we hadn't moved to
a new home and that makes no sense to me.
Deanna
Tell me, am I wrong here? Please be honest with me fellow bloggers and adoption interested friends. I feel like this agency is punishing us becuase I pushed them when they lied to me about when they could have my home study completed. They had lied to me and told me the never received approval from the Department of Social Services on our finger prints. I called the Department of Social Services myself and low and behold our fingerprints had been approved and the approval form had been sent back to the agency within 7 days of us having the prints actually taken! That was record time. It made the agency mad that I had caught them in a fib. But it made me mad that all of our paperwork was in by the end of February and they didn't get the home study finished until May 13!
I don't mind going and getting CPR certified. I do think the first aid cert is a joke! But if they really cared about people being CPR trained than I would assume they would make both of us get certified. The whole thing is a joke in my opinion. I just hate the feeling of jumping through hoops yet again a little higher and a little higher each time they ask. I know it's part of being able to adopt but come on.
5 Comments:
Deanna,
This is all just unbelievable to me. My homestudy seems like a complete joke compared to yours. I can understand the new financials, since that all changes when you move. But everything else? I am very confused... Why do you need to be foster care certified to adopt? You're handling this a lot better than I would.
Brooke
Whew! You do have some hoops. When we started, our social worker gave us a checklist of everything we we would need to get/do/have to complete the home study. Seems like either they should have given you something like this or they should have a list like this of their own - and they need to share it with you. Right now it sounds like they're pretty invested in being the ones who call the shots -(esp. given how confusing their emails are), but at the expense of YOUR sanity? It's ridiculous.
Deanna - I hate to say this but it really sounds like they are totally fucking with you. I would call social services and find out from them what is required for adoptive families. Find out if this is a new rule or something they made up to "punish" you.
Also, do you know anyone else using this agency? Maybe you can check one of the yahoo boards (I participate so if you want, I can ask for you).
I'm sorry they are doing this to you :(
I stand by my original statement where i suggested you bite your tongue until this is all over.
Leigh
Just echoing what summer said. I had to do it for substitute teaching and it was just a one day class on a saturday. No big deal. It was still valid when we did our homestudy so that was helpful ;-)
OTOH - I think your agency sounds obnoxious. It's like they know they have you by the throat and they're just going to do whatever they want.
But I would probably bite my tongue and do it like leigh said.
But it doesn't make it suck any less. I'm very sorry!!! Hug!
Post a Comment
<< Home