Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Home Study Update...Update

I called a week or so ago to schedule an appointment for the social worker to do an update on our home study. Specifically it was to inspect the new home, since we moved about 4 weeks ago. We had played phone tag the last week or so and today finally spoke live this morning around 8:30. She said she happened to be coming to my area today and wanted to know if this morning would be convenient. It was. Then she asks if 9:30 would be okay, it only gave me an hour but that was okay since the house is already clean. So far so good right! Yeah, you know as well as I do that nothing regarding adoption goes that smooth, nothing!

She's shows up on time, she's very nice, checks out the home and then says there have been some changes to the requirements for home studies. We have to correct or provide many things. Keep in mind our home study was just completed May 13, 2005. This little meeting was only supposed to be us showing them that the house was safe and clean.

The following is a list of NEW requirements that go above and beyond what we have already done for our home study:

Fire Extinguisher (ABC Type) in kitchen
Emergency phone numbers posted by the phone
All medicines, including vitamins LOCKED and no expired medicines
All cleaning supplies LOCKED
All knifes LOCKED (That nice knife block that's on the kitchen counter with all the slots for the knives, not good enough, they have to be LOCKED)
First Aid Kid with Manual must be on hand
Earth Quake Kit must be on hand
All outlets must be covered (even before the child arrives)
CPR & First Aid certifications MUST be done at least one parent must be CPR certified and at the other or both must be First Aid Certified
A sketch of your house must be completed and on file with the agency. Additional requirements that I had handy and was able to give her a copy of or show her while she was here included:

  • A copy of our home owner's insurance declaration
  • An updated car insurance declaration that includes a list of the limits and liabilities
  • Pet shot records
  • Car Seat (before we didn't have to have one until we were ready to bring home a baby)
  • Crib or bassinet, our Pack N Play was acceptable (once again, before we didn't have to have that on hand until we were ready to bring home a baby)

Now I believe that all adoptive parents should be thoroughly checked out. I think 99% of the requirements are wonderful and we have happy obliged to doing them. But some of these things are silly, I think the one that upsets me the most is the knives being "locked", kitchen knives must be locked. Come on! Oh, and how many of you bio parents, not adopting, keep your medicines (even vitamins) locked in a lock box? Do you also have an ABC type Fire Extinguisher in your kitchen? How about first aid kits with manuals... you've got that handy too right? Yeah, I thought so.

I guess all this is good but in the same respect, it angers me that I just can't get pregnant and bypass crap like this. I know I'll love my child whether he or she comes from my body or not. I guess I feel disappointed by adoption because it's not what I thought it would be. It's two failed matches, it's problems with home studies, it's lies from adoption agencies, it's not being able to provide my child everything he or she might need in utero and during birth. It's having to share a bond to a child with someone other than my husband. If I could just get knocked up, I wouldn't have to experience this and to be honest, I really don't want to be experiencing this stuff.

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 1:00:00 PM, Blogger Foxxy One said...

Are you serious??? Is this the agency's requirements or the governments? When we had covers on all of our outlets - the social worker laughed at us and said, you realize he won't be walking for a while - you don't have to have the covers unless he's walking around trying to stick things into the outlets.

I also asked about locking up the medicine cabinets and she said that when he's old enough to get into them, it's a good idea.

None of that was "required". I would check to see if they are just being assholes or if it really is a requirement.

 
At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhh...thats weird.

We have NO requirements here...they just come, visit and see you at home. We did give a brief tour of the house, but thats IT.

How absolutely ridiculous.

sheesh...the "nursery" was under renovation when our s.w. came...no drywall!! lol, yours would have had a heart attack.

Leigh

 
At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:59:00 PM, Blogger K said...

Locked medicine cabinet? I guess if your child ever needs emergency ipecac you should just tell the child to wait while you go find the key and unlock the box that could save its life. That is about the craziest thing I have ever heard!

And having the crib and car seat? I just couldn't handle having those things around until I KNEW a baby was going to use them.

I'd like to poke that sw square in the eye.

 
At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:00:00 PM, Blogger Away2me said...

In defense of the social worker, she seemed to feel really bad about all the updates and new requirements, especially the one about having to have the car seat and the crib, she said it really wasn't fair to adoptive parents to have to deal with that when they don't know a baby is coming.

 
At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 7:01:00 AM, Blogger Dennise said...

That is absolutely ridiculous. A car seat, medicine cabinets. I would just have to hurt someone.

 
At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So these are changes the agency needs to comply with since your homestudy was first done?
Ours was also done earlier this year in the spring so maybe we'll get hit with that list when we need to update.
Sounds like they want you to meet the same criteria as CA foster homes - that is the only other place that requires knives locked that I know of.

 
At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:27:00 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Completely unreal. Now you're scaring me, because we're in the middle of our home study. (3rd interview tomorrow morning!) But our SW has made no mention of any of this -- I am wondering if it is specific to your state. As if the rest of it weren't bad enough -- this is beyond invasive, it's absolutely insulting. To me, it implies that whoever made the rules believes that adoptive parents are somehow not as capable as biological ones. How else can you rationalize so many requirements that no biological parent ever has to even think about? It's infuriating.

 
At Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am truly shocked. I mean, some of those things we should all have, but no one made sure that we did befvore we left the hospital!
I'm sorry you have to go through all that crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home